With increasing demand for travel requirements being handled as quickly as possible for Department of Defense personnel, the Defense Travel System has been designed to manage all the concerns regarding temporary travel through a comprehensive electronic system.
With the help of the DTS and defense travel services, defense personnel are able to easily receive travel assistance when it comes to official travel, and thorough support is provided for travelers who need reimbursements, as well as access to news, updates, training resources and information on relevant travel programs.
What Is the Defense Travel System?
For Navy personnel and Marine Corps, there are a variety of advantages available that are provided through the Defense Travel System. Whether you need help finding information about Navy traveler detachment or relevant insight on resources and services provided by the Defense Travel Management Office (DTMO), the official DTS website and your personal DTA (Defense Travel Administrator can provide you with all the support you will require.
The Defense Travel System is a fully integrated electronic travel system used by Department of Defense personnel. It handles temporary duty travel (TDT), allowing travelers mainly to create authorizations, prepare reservations, receive reimbursements and approvals, create travel vouchers and more.
Using the Defense Travel System, Defense personnel can gain access to a number of important advantages:
- The DTS allows travelers to easily and quickly book reservations, create authorizations and receive relevant approvals.
- It handles all travel related concerns and information associated with official travel organized for areas that are not related to combat zones.
- Military and Defense services are able to conduct Defense travel training for all users and administrators, being provided with the necessary resources and tools to do so.
- Timely payments, deposits and disbursements can easily be made, and the system provides a reliable support service available 24/7.
- A special help desk and support service phone lines are available for Naval Reservists, Marine Corps and any other Defense travelers belonging to a specific organization.
Personalized online reservations can also be made by Defense personnel who need a reservation at a short notice, and any itinerary changes for airline travel, accommodation, car rental and other important services can be made in record time as well.
Getting Started Using the DTS
Whether you’re in the Military, Navy or Marine Corps, the first step in gaining access to the advantages provided by the Defense Travel System is to ask your superior about the local DTA who serves your organization, and organize an appointment. Every traveler or administrator who needs to settle any type of issue related to the DTS is required to contact their Defense Travel Administrator, and ask for assistance.
The official DTS website can also provide a number of resources to help you start out. Featuring information on training, travel assistance, as well as the various Defense programs and services that are available, it will offer you some invaluable insight on where to get started, and how to find the resources and services that are relevant in perspective with what you require.
Defense Travel Services and Resources
A number of services, resources and support tools are available for Defense travelers to use the DTS to their advantage, and make sure they are able to receive all the benefits they are entitled to at a short notice.
Here is a short overview of some of the most defense travel services you can benefit from:
- The Travel Assistance Center (TAC) offers continuous assistance for any type of official travel business associated with the Defense travel community. Among the most important topics covered by the TAC are travel policies, DoD travel cards, the DTS, commercial travel services and more.
- The Travel Explorer (TraX) is an easy to use online service for gaining access to relevant travel information. It is basically an extension of the Travel Assistance Center, and it allows access to call center tickets, ticket tracking, as well as a frequently asked questions section.
- E-learning services are also available in a variety of useful formats. You can use web based training resources to be provided with on-demand instructions, distance learning through interactive presentations and user friendly online demos for outlining processes such as creating vouchers and authorizations.
You can also gain access to a number of courses that are available through classroom, interactive web conferencing presentations or distance learning modules. Also, the Enterprise Web Based Training System is designed as a mock version of the DTS, allowing users to practice before using the software.
To learn more about defense travel services and the DTS, it is highly recommended that you first contact your DTA and inquire about any problems you may have with the software or any additional information you might require.